Oi Familia!
Yep. The amount of Portuguese I knew when I left is the same amount I know now! We''re doing the pilot program so we learn our gospel stuff here then leave for the CTM in Sao Paulo on February 29th, in theory, to focus on language. This week was so nuts. The first day, I was just losin all my stuff. I got my companion, his name is Elder Paul and his twin brother and him are in our district. My Elder Paul is going to my mission and his twin is going to Joao Pissoa Brazil up north next to Nick Anderson. This whole week has been one spiritual punch in the mouth. We have the most incredible district ever. Elder Pauls by the way mom, are the ones from the missionary mom website. So yeah, I don't know how that worked out.
Anyways, day one I was feeling down and doubtful, but I had a life changing spiritual experience the next day that turned everything around. I explained it in my letter. The missionaries in my district are Elders Paul, Elders Barker, Johnsen, and Yorgason from Utah, Elder Mattison from Arizona (reminds me exactly of Craig Burwell, mega stud) Elder Winkler who is easily the most inspiring person alive, but I'll get to that later. We have four sisters Sister Morgan from NC, Sisters Briggs and Fitisemanu from California, and Sister Rider from Florida. It's true that Sister missionaries are what keeps the church together. They're incredible! Sister Morgan is the Zone coordinating sister which means she runs all the things that concern the sisters in our zone. Elder Paul and I are the Zone Leaders which is the same thing but with the Elders.
It's funny being here because all the Brazilian missionaries come up to us and try speaking Portuguese and we're just like, “Uhhh, we don't speak Portuguese." Then we have to explain why. Oh! I've run into Elder Clawson and Hermana Layton a few times! Makes me SO happy to see them! I'll try to get a picture with them soon. Anyways. One Elder in our district, Elder Winkler, is the most inspiring guy on the planet. He has been homeless and in and out of foster care since he was four years old. He ran away from his abusive aunt and uncle for the last time at age 13 and literally ran away to join the circus... he played drums for Cirque Du Soleil and has worked as a professional drummer since. He is a former drug addict and alcoholic, and received the gospel at 17 when he was living in the attic of a strip club in West Hollywood. He's so hardcore, but his testimony is truly amazing. I wish I had more time because there's so much to write about him alone!
Oh, I forgot to mention that the missionaries in our district are all going to Minneapolis Minnesota. Which is funny because they're all from hot climates and Elders Paul and I are from cold climates going to BRAZIL. It's been so good getting those letters and I sent one last week so it should be there soon. Our devotional on Sunday was given by Brother Heaton an exec here at the MTC and then we watched one of Elder Bednar’s talks. Like I said, it's just been one huge spiritual rollercoaster this whole time and I've only had one day when I was being a pooper. Not bad for me! Hmmm what else? Oh Elder Paul and I get to teach a few mock investigators and two of them are really tough cookies but we work so well as a companionship that our lessons often end in tears. My teachers’ names are Brother Dopp and Sister Itri. Brother Dopp is really close friends with the Kunzler boys! Small world AGAIN. I just love this place and it's sad to see some of the Elders that you can tell just hate it because of their bad attitudes. Come on guys. I love it, the Spirit is so intense here, and the food is mediocre but does terrible things to your digestive system, and it's true I laugh at EVERYTHING now! I don't get it!
Anyways, I came here knowing nothing and my testimony has been strengthened so much since I got here. I know this gospel has the power to change lives and even though it's tough, I know every second of the next two years will be so worth it for me, and for everyone I can touch. I love all of you so much and thanks for the few letters I've been getting they really make my day and I love writing back. If you sent me a Dear Elder I've already responded - it just has to get to ya! Once again I love you and thanks for all the support!
Love,
Elder Marley