Sunday, May 20, 2012

First Baptism

Olá  Well this week was a huge surprise of a week! I was in and out of doctors offices all week to get this whole insomnia thing under control so I think I spent 30 bucks on bus trips haha. But everything is good. Surprise! We had our first baptism this weekend! Whoa! Barbará was baptised! We taught her last sunday and she got baptized yesterday! We´re teaching her entire family and they´re super excited about the gospel. It´s incredible how this all happens at once because we´ve been praying for this for weeks! Barbará is 17 years old and has a two year old daughter named Ivy that is so adorable! She has gone through some extreme trials in her life and was looking for a church to raise her daughter in and after we talked about the restoration she said she wants her family to grow up in the mormon church. It was incredible. Now her sister, her sisters boyfriend, and her mom want to be baptized next week. What a miracle. It just goes to show that even though we weren´t having any success, that God was preparing people right under our nose to teach. This family absolutely LOVES us and I love them so much. The father is an evangelical pastor but doesn´t live with them. He was there for the first lesson and that was interesting to say the least. It´s the end of the first transfer and I´m so happy I survived! Only 17 left! Talking to you guys yesterday was a huge blessing and made me so happy! Everyone looks so good and I´m glad to have received an update on everyone! This week was really an eye opener for me. I experienced some very interesting experiences that I will hold sacred for the rest of my life. I never noticed really how I walk down some of the world´s most dangerous streets every day and feel completely safe, I literally feel the Lord´s promise of having angels on our left and on our right at all times. As we strive to live the commandments with exactness we will be preserved just like Helaman´s 2000 warriors. What an amazing blessing and I, like them, am taking what my mother taught me as a child and applying it in a battle of a different sort but of equal importance. What a blessing it is to be here and like we always hear `No one ever said it was going to be easy, He just said it would be worth it`. I know this is the most difficult thing I have ever done but I know it´s also the most important. Having a hand in literally helping the Savior save souls is a marvelous honor and I couldn´t be happier to be serving the Lord where and when I am serving Him. Thank you so much for the prayers, I feel their effects every day. And Grandma and Grandpa Peterson and Marley... Thank you for the letters! They made my week even greater! Love from Ipiranga Elder Marley